September 16, 2009

Why Can't I Find or Recognize My Ancestral Homes?

My oldest granddaughter and I recently drove past the house I moved out of three years ago. She said it didn't look right with a different paint color, missing trees, missing lilac bushes, the enclosed porch now open, and no deck in back. She visited that house often during a period of ten years and remembers it well.

A few weeks ago I was invited to tour the remodeled house. They wanted to know about the house's history, the past residents, and about what changes had been made. It was a nice tour. Some aspects were quite different, while some have stayed the same.

The new owner wants to compile a history of the house. I knew about a few of the families that have lived there since it was built in 1907. I am surprising him with the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census printouts from Ancestry for this address. I told him that his wife might request something the house had in 1910--a maid!

Continue Reading
http://www.ancestralfindings.com/freea11838.htm