I deleted a sentence the other day because I realized I had gone farther than the records allowed. The sentence fit nicely with the story I was putting together, and based on everything I knew about the family, it even sounded reasonable. But when I looked at it again, I realized I was telling the reader what that person felt when I had no record that actually said it.
That is surprisingly easy to do when we write about people who can no longer correct us. We collect enough records to know where an ancestor lived, what kind of work he did, who he married, how many children he had, and perhaps something about the problems the family faced. Then we start connecting those facts into a life story. Somewhere along the way, it can become tempting to explain why someone made a decision or what that person must have been thinking...
Podcast Notes: https://ancestralfindings.com/writing-ancestor-stories/
Ancestral Findings Podcast:
https://ancestralfindings.com/podcast
This Week's Free Genealogy Lookups:
https://ancestralfindings.com/lookups
Genealogy Giveaway:
https://ancestralfindings.com/giveaway