June 11, 2007

Tips from the Pros: Go Back and Get it Again

from Michael John Neill

Have you gone back and reviewed documents that you located early in your research? Family historians should not only review copies of records in their files, but also original materials from which notes and comments were made. Re-reading the complete records from which notations were made may cause overlooked clues to be discovered.

I was fortunate that I grew up within a few miles of the courthouse that contained many court and probate records of my ancestors. My initial viewing of these materials was done early in my research when I was still partially in what I call my "name-collecting" phase. If it didn't mention a known or obvious relative, I did not always write it down. I only copied...

[ Next Page ] - Click Here

[ Read Past Helps ] [ Read Past Tips ]