December 1, 2012

101 of the Best Free Websites for Climbing Your Family Tree

I’ve been ancestor-hunting since I was about 8-years-old.

Back then, I didn’t know anything about GEDCOMs, pedigree charts, census data or compiling sources. But what I did know was I had an insatiable curiosity about the people who came before me - - thanks, in part, to the family stories spun by both my grandmothers.

One of them regaled me with tales of her own grandfather - a Civil War veteran of the Battle of Shiloh, while the other captivated me with stories of Indians in the wilds of Missouri. More importantly, both of them started me on a life-long path that has taken me to abandoned cemeteries, courthouse attics, out-of-the-way museums, and some of America’s most hallowed ground.

During the journey - particularly in the last five years - I’ve discovered some of the best free genealogy and history sites on the Internet. These are the ones I use in my own research, and the ones I hope you’ll find as valuable as I have.

Although you can find these same sites on your own, it’s my hope that by finding, testing and compiling the best-of-the-best it will save you all of the time it’s taken me to put this resource together - - and free you up for what you love best - - Finding Ancestors!

The first 50 sites are grouped by category: 

  • military
  • social history
  • immigration
  • databases
  • miscellaneous

The next 51 are by state, with one outstanding site per U.S. state. (And because there were some sites just too good to be left out, you’ll find another 10 sites at the end)

The 50 best sites contain an overview of the site, why I recommend it, and any search strategies for making the most of your time on the site... Read More




Explore US Military Historical Records by War.
http://www.ancestralfindings.com/fold3.htm